Sunday, June 7, 2009

Enjoying the day



Sunday, a just right kind of day to enjoy celebrating Len's birthday. A wonderful brunch at a very nice place with a tasting menu of brunch items. Didn't eat too much, which is always good.
He is as excited for me and my big adventure as I am. How supportive is that? It means he will be able to work on a large messing the house up kind of project that he knows can go on for two months!
I will miss him, but we will be in touch every day via email, so it does not seem so apart.
Re-pack the bags tomorrow, to make sure I have not forgotten anything and I am set.
It won't be real till I am on the plane though, as I am a sort of skeptic about things like that.

This is a picture from the last trip, where I was in Auckland on a layover till my flight to Fiji. The airport itself wasn't particularly interesting, certainly not when compared to places like Minneapolis or Detroit airports. They had driver-less train shuttles (they are very large places and you need the shuttle to get from one end to the other) and or fantastic fountains. I must say that I was amused in all of them except for Los Angeles which was ugly, overused and depressing. It didn't help that I was tired when I was in LA, so I guess my opinion doesn't count.

Detroit was the best with fountain. Controlled jets of water doing a ballet, for all the world looking like dolphins jumping in and out of the water. Internet cafes will keep me busy when I have more than three hours. I am still trying to figure out turning pictures in my blog, or do I have to turn them in my camera first? I'll figure it out.

This is Detroit at about 7am. I had to wait till 2pm till my flight out, so I got to know it really well. They sell a lot of miniature cars in that place. Oh, by the way, the shops are open by 7am. Can you believe that? I just could not decide which was my favourite car to get, so I called my favorite man instead. He kept saying, "You'll be here soon, why call?" but at this point, I missed his voice and needed to hear it. I had also been on the road for about 40 hours at this point, so logical was not in the books.

So, this was the fountain that amused for hours. Sitting with an enormous coffee, glazed eyes, watching the fountain show me it's story every 10 minutes or so.
I love people watching, and at my age, I experience what Germaine Greer calls "being invisible". This phenomenon is great because I can sit and watch a young couple practically make love in front of me and I am not there to them. The "no competition thing" I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment